Below you will find basic instructions for deploying VyprVPN Cloud 22.214.171.124 in VirtualBox. This setup is only recommended for those who are familiar with VirtualBox and are comfortable setting up VyprVPN Cloud on their home network. If you are struggling with this setup and it isn't essential you configure VyprVPN Cloud on your home network, we recommend using the AWS setup.
Note: If you are attempting to upgrade your VyprVPN Cloud in VirtualBox from versions prior to 0.11.0.179, please review the known defect here.
1. Download and install VirtualBox - https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
2. Download the .ovf and .vmdk files linked below. Put the files in your default VirtualBox VM directory.
- Windows: C:\Users\%USER%\VirtualBox VMs
- Mac OSX: ~/Users/%USER%
%USER% = Your Mac or Windows username
3. Run the Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager software.
4. Select File then Import Appliance.
5. Select the .ovf file you downloaded; select Next.
6. Review the information and change the Name, CPU (minimum 1), and RAM (minimum 1024 MB) as you desire. You can also leave the default settings.
7. Click Import.
8. Right click on your new virtual and select Settings.
9. Under Network select Attached to: and Bridged Adapter (requires your network to have functioning DHCP).
NAT is not currently supported due to port restrictions in VirtualBox limiting the functionality of VyprVPN Cloud.
12. Power on your VM.
13. Log in as root. Credentials are case-sensitive.
Login: root Password: 1amgr00t$@
14. Change the root password to something else after logging in with the passwd command.
15. Find the IP address assigned to your virtual machine by running this command: ifconfig eth0 (listed as inet addr)
Note: the adapter may show as enp0s3 or similar instead of eth0 - substitute the correct adapter name going forward for eth0 if your adapter name differs.
16. Open your web browser and navigate to that IP address. The VyprVPN Cloud web admin panel will load. Login with the following credentials (case-sensitive):
Username: admin Password: Grod42decK
17. (*Optional*) Head to Network Interfaces so we can configure a static IP for the server. You can leave the setting for eth0 as DHCP if you've already statically assigned the IP for the VM elsewhere.
- Change eth0 to Static. Fill in your interface details:
- IP & Netmask: Use the IP address already assigned to your VM in CIDR notation appropriate for your home network. (/24 is most common)
- Gateway IP: The default gateway of your router.
- Manual DNS: Google public DNS is default for VyprVPN Cloud. 126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52
- Click Save.
18. Restart the virtual machine.
Now you are ready to forward the necessary ports in order to connect to VyprVPN Cloud running on your network. The following ports must be forwarded in your router to the IP address of the VM:
TCP ports: 22, 222, 80, 443
UDP ports: 443, 500, 1194, 1701, 4500, 15001-20000, 25001-30000
Note: If you have custom/strict firewall rules in your router, you may need to alter those settings as well.
Once you have forward the appropriate ports, it's time to setup VyprVPN Cloud!
19. On the admin panel, go to Server Overview.
20. Input your Golden Frog email address and password.
21. Input a name for the server in the Server name field. This is what will appear in the VyprVPN apps.
22. Change the Public IP to the public IP of your network. This is provided to your by your ISP and can be easily obtained by visiting our IP checker webpage.
23. Click Register Server.
24. Follow additional steps to secure the admin web panel and change the admin panel password in the general web panel setup tutorial.
25. That's it! Head over to this page to see how to connect.
If you have questions or issues with this process, please direct them to the Golden Frog Forum page for VyprVPN Cloud.
If you need any further assistance, please contact support and we'll be happy to help!
Last reviewed/updated June 2019