Prior to configuring this setup, you will need to flash your router with the latest OpenVPN-capable build of DD-WRT. You can find your router and appropriate build by searching the DD-WRT database: http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database
We do not offer assistance with flashing routers. If you need help, please consult the DD-WRT forums or DD-WRT wiki page of your make and model of router. Forums: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/
Please note: We offer limited support for this configuration due to many variables that can cause connection or performance issues. This firmware is open-source with many versions and a growing list of supported hardware. We cannot guarantee VyprVPN's performance or functionality on your router.
Bold items are things you will click or edit.
1. Connect to your router via Ethernet cable and navigate to the firmware. To do this, open your browser and visit http://192.168.1.1/
2. Go to the Setup tab and click the Basic Setup sub-tab.
3. In the Network Address Server Settings (DHCP) section, fill in Static DNS 1 and Static DNS 2 with your desired DNS servers. Please note: VyprDNS is not yet available for this configuration.
Suggested DNS server addresses:
Google DNS: 18.104.22.168 and 22.214.171.124 OpenDNS: 126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52
4. Click the Save button at the bottom of the page.
5. Go to the Services tab, then the VPN sub-tab.
6. Enable OpenVPN Client.
7. Configure the fields and options per the settings below:
Server IP/name: Enter the desired VPN server address in the Internet address field. View the server addresses here.
Tunnel Device: TUN
Tunnel Protocol: UDP
Encryption Cipher: AES-256 CBC
Hash Algorithm: SHA256
User Pass Authentication: Enabled
Username: Your Golden Frog email address
Password: Your Golden Frog password
Advanced Options: Enable
TLS Cypher: None
LZO Compression: Adaptive
Firewall Protection: Enable
Leave all other fields on their default settings.
8. In the Additional Config box, paste the following:
resolv-retry infinite keepalive 10 60 nobind persist-key persist-tun persist-remote-ip verify-x509-name us4.vyprvpn.com name verb 3
NOTE: For the “verify-x509-name” line, change the example server hostname of us4.vyprvpn.com to the desired server location hostname. It needs to match what you entered in the Server IP/name field for the client options.
9. In the CA Cert box, paste the text from this file: CA Cert
10. Click Save at the bottom of the page.
11. Go to the Administration tab, then the Management sub-tab.
12. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click Reboot Router.
13. Wait 2-5 minutes for the router to reboot and the connection to establish.
Log and connection information is visible in the Status tab, under the OpenVPN sub-tab.
14. Check your IP address here: What is my IP address?
15. Enjoy VyprVPN in your DD-WRT router!
If you need any further assistance, please contact support and we'll be happy to help!